What is Vaginoplasty?
- Vaginoplasty is a cosmetic surgery of the vagina to tighten the muscles in the vaginal wall and to reduce any slackness.
- The vagina can become slack and loose with ageing and childbirth.
- The slackness results in reduced sensation during sexual activities.
- Increased tone of the muscles in the vaginal walls
- Improved sensation during sexual activities
- Enhanced appearance of the genital organs, resulting in a boost in confidence and self esteem for the woman
- The surgery is minimally invasive, hence there are very few and small scars
- This surgery takes about 30 minutes to one hour for completion
- Multiple procedures may be performed at the same time, so it is possible that the time required may extend to more than an hour.
- Vaginoplasty is an elective surgery, often undertaken by women who feel having a deformed vagina affects their sexual experiences and self esteem, and ultimately their confidence
- In rare cases, it is done as a reconstructive surgery to change the structure of the vagina to remove any deformities that may be interfering with healthy body functioning.
- The patient will be asked to have a completely void bladder for hours before the surgery is carried out
- The entire procedure is carried out with the patient under general or local anesthesia
- One or two incisions will be made in the vaginal walls
- The doctor will then surgically tighten the muscles in the pelvic region using laparoscope and micro instruments, to remove the slackness in the vaginal walls.
- In some cases, collagen is injected into the front walls of the vagina to increase sensitivity
- Clitoral unhooding involves removal of the tissue covering the clitoris. The tissue is cut using a scalpel or micro instruments using a laparoscope.
The patient will be required to have enough rest for a while after the surgery
Abstinence from active sports and sexual activity is also advised for a few weeks after the surgery